Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm home and apparently a dog.

I returned home from the hospital yesterday afternoon. At first I was very confused by the directions. They said I was supposed to drink up to two ounces of protein shake an hour, but get in 60grams of protein in the whole day. If I stayed on the shake they were giving me in the hospital, I'd have to drink for 22 hours a day! Certainly that can't be right?!

So I called my nut. and my surgeon's nurse and left messages. The nut. called me back and told me that powdered protein drinks were much more protein potent. We had some and she was right. If I could drink 8 or 9 two ounce servings, I can make my requirement. Phew!

Next is water. I'm supposed to drink 60 ounces of water a day. I can do that... right? We're going to start measuring that more carefully tomorrow.

Last is walking. I'm supposed to walk for 2 periods of thirty minutes. This wasn't a problem, until the temperature decided to stay between 90 and 103 degrees this week. Dr. B. told me I should walk INDOORS because he didn't think my water intake could keep up with dehydration from being in such heat! This was not the best news! As I was simmering over this (pun intended), a volunteer at the hospital told me she's a member of Pitts Baptist Church with is right down the road from my development (like two-tenths of a mile!). She said they have an indoor track that I could use. I asked her if she was sure it was open to the public. She said it was. Well, I called yesterday, explained my situation and what the volunteer at the hospital had said. I was promptly told by the lady who answered the phone that it is not open to the public. I must have a member with me to use their indoor track. Apparently Jesus only shared with the people HE broke bread with? Oh well. There's still the mall. They let vagrants like Jeff and I walk there.

Today, Jeff drove me to Concord Mills. We walked a lap and stopped into a store and bought a few gifts for people. I posted on facebook and a few text messages today that I am looking for someone to come and walk me. Yes, walk me. I'm like a dog. I need to walk twice a day for at least 30 minutes a time and I can't drive yet, so I need someone to take me there. Email or call me if you want to join the Jessica walking team!

No comments:

Post a Comment