Monday, July 12, 2010

One Big Complication (ME)

[Otherwise titled: Houston, we have a problem, and that problem is Jessica]

I know I haven't posted in a bit.  There's a very good reason for that!  I had to go back to the hospital.  I'm going to give you the short story, as this is the first day it doesn't hurt to sit at my computer.

Friday, July 2:  Around 11pm I start having major pain.  I wake up around 3am and am throwing up and... well, let's just say I required a toilet and a garbage can at one time.  This persists on and off for hours.

Saturday, July 3:  I call Dr. B. at 8:30am.  He ANSWERS THE PHONE (himself) and we talk about my night.  Dr. B. tells me to go to the ER right away.  We go to the ER and I get examined and I get a CT Scan.  We wait and wait for someone to come and tell us what is wrong with me.  The ER doctor has prescribed me some pain medicine, which helped a lot.  To our surprise, Dr. B. walks in.  He tells us there is a black spot on my CT and that he needs to operate.  Here's that conversation:

Dr. B.: I'm going to need to go back in and operate.
Jess: When?
Dr. B.: Now.
Jess: Do I have time to call my mom?
Dr. B.: If you can do it quickly.

Whoa.  So, this crazy orderly who told me "not to look into the light" wheels me down to pre-op.  They pre-op me.  Some of the staff recognizes me from Surgery1.

I kiss Jeff farewell, and off I go! 

Surgery Number 2

The rest of the day is a bit fuzzy, but Collette came and relieved Jeff.  I was still in pain after the surgery.  The whole day was very confusing.

Sunday, July 4:  I am still in pain.  It seems to be getting worse.  Dr. B. comes by late that night and determines he needs to remove a little part of my small intestine the next morning.  All night, I go a little crazy.  I ask Jeff if he's sure we should do this.  I worry that we're doing the right thing.  I mean 3 surgeries in 15 days?  It does sound a little crazy, right?


 Crazy Orderly

Monday, July 5:  I get wheeled down to surgery by the same Crazy Orderly around 8am or so.  This surgery is "open" as opposed to the laparoscopic way he had been going about it before.  This means he actually cuts me open and uses his hands, opposed to using little probes and whatnot.  It lasts over 3 hours.  All in all, I felt better after I got out, though I was very confused from all the anesthesia and pain medicine. 

It was a long night that night.

Tuesday, July 6:  Around 5am I am awoken to take pills or something and my head is back "with it."  Jeff is very relieved about that.

Wednesday, July 7: I'm mostly off my pain medicine and am tiring of the hospital. 

Thursday, July 8:  Dr. B. discharges me from the hospital!  I am elated.  At some point, I said to Dr. B. that he has to have records of his surgeries and I am now listed as a complication.  Dr. B. made reference to this being the worst complication he has ever had.  Apparently, there was one other patient one time, but it wasn't as bad as me.  Lucky me.  I'm his #1 complication.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, been thinking about you and MM is asking about you too. We are saying our prayers and hoping you will offer the DR no more lessons. Maybe next week we can drop in for a quick visit. It will be better for me then too. Keep your chin up and keep your long term goal in front of you. Sending lots of love...

    ReplyDelete