Monday, June 21, 2010

...and she's away.

Jeff here.

They just took Jess away.

So far it's been a day of hurry up and wait.

The morning started at 6:30 with a text message. Since she was already up, and wanted plenty of time to dry her hair, she got up. So, she's been antsy for a while, ready to get this thing started.

After packing up, and a flurry of phone calls, we were off to the Surgery Center. Jess was telling everyone that it was our anniversary. One of the staff, in a very nice gesture, got Jess a small bouquet of flowers. The flowers were a few days old, possibly taken out some dead guy's room, but the thought was very nice. I tried to take credit for the gesture, but Jess saw right through me. Damn. At least I gave her a nice card this morning.

It took about an hour before they took us back to start to get ready. There was a very nice nurse helping Jess. It kept taking her a few moments to understand Jess's jokes and snarky comments, but she seemed entertained none-the-less. We got some nice pictures of the sexy surgical stockings and inflatable leg cuff contraptions. Check the flickr page in a week or two.

After more waiting, the anesthesiologist came in to talk to us and expertly put in her IV. Really. Many of you know how much I hate needles, and even I was impressed. I want this guy to draw my blood.

Yet more waiting. Jess wanted her iPod to play some solitaire and proceeded to lose several games in a row. She was rather unsettled, as she doesn't feel complete until she wins a game. I was able to use the hospital wifi to connect to her Facebook page. I'll try to keep updating that when I can.

Dr. B checked in. In true Dr. B fashion, he was very succinct and to the point. A few comments about her blood sugar level, and he was in and out. Maybe 2 minutes top.

Jess was then able to win a game of solitaire, so she felt a bit easier.

Another person from the anesthesiologist staff came to give her a margarita syringe.

A kiss and an I love you, and they wheeled her away.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates - we're thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm late catching up on the blog, and by now I've already read on facebook that you're out of surgery and doing well. I am so proud of you and for you! This was such a big decision, and you have been so open about it. I know your experience is going to wonders for you - but guess what - it is going to help other people too because of your sharing through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mr. and Mrs. Kawski,
    I'm so happy this part is behind you! Jeff, I'd like to come and visit VERY briefly with your bride tomorrow. Please call my cell phone and let me know what time is best, and if she even feels like laughing at the ridiculously funny book I bought for her. thank you! (704)699-0601
    Shannon Leder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the updates. And Happy Anniversary to you both! Sending prayers and well wishes your way...Renee Skey

    ReplyDelete