Saturday, May 8, 2010

44 days until surgery... and counting

My surgery is coming closer and closer.  I have 44 days left.  Today, I took out my "Pre-Surgical Weight Loss Plan" that is supposed to be implemented "2-4 weeks prior to surgery."  I know I have time, but I want to start this road now!  Here's what is says, plus how I'm doing:

Goal is to stay within 1200 - 1900 calories per day. 
That'll require some more work.

1.  Eliminate sweet drinks.
I don't drink soda or coffee.  I mainly drink water (with lemon); sometimes I drink skim milk.  I feel good about this item.  

2.  Eliminate fried foods, and high fat/sugar foods.
Well, fries came with my steak at my staff dinner yesterday... but those three white russians were all me, I suppose.

3.  Start consuming 60 ounces per day of water or calorie free, decaffeinated fluids.  (Water will assist you in staying full -- to avoid excessive hunger before surgery)
I do well with this on the weekends, but not the weekdays.  I need to drink more (water) for sure!

4.  Stop eating white foods (potato, noodles, pasta, rice, white breads) May use lite wheat bread, high fiber/high protein pasta, and noodles in moderation.  
This is hard for me.  I love my pasta, potatoes, and breads.  Today Jeff and I went to spend a teacher appreciation gift card at Panera and I got a sandwich on whole grain bread and not a french baguette.  Does that count?  What?  For dinner?  I had pizza.  Darn.  

5.  Eat every 2-3 hours... start working on the changes that MUST become part of our new life after surgery.  Eating every 2-3 hours will keep your metabolism up and assist you in staying full.   
This is something I need to consciously plan out better.

6.  Do not eat late at night -- but if you must, munch on veggies dipped in salsa, a piece of fruit, or use one of your protein drinks. 
No problem with this one.  

7.  Walk at least 10 minutes twice per day -- you CAN do it.
I'm trying to do more than this.  I tend to be all in or none in.  This sounds too simple, but maybe 10 minutes twice a day is a good place to start.

8.  Use Unjury powder as directed -- mixing with skim or low fat milks or lactose free milk or soymilk.  Do not mix with juice or caffeinated drinks.  May use with water if you wish, but to get more protein in -- milk is 1 gram of protein per 1 ounce of milk.
I have been trying protein drinks, but I haven't really been making them a daily part of my life.  

REMEMBER:
* No fried (Starting today)
* No sweets (Starting today, but not including the gift card I got for Cold Stone Creamery for Teacher Appreciation week... haha)
* No white foods (Starting today)
* No sweet drinks (Done)
* Wean off caffeine (Done)
* Get more water and fluids that are sugar free and decaffeinated (Need to drink more water)
* Eat every 2-3 hours (Dreading this, but will start today)
* Get used to measuring what you are eating (Talk to Jeff)
* Keep a daily journal of what you eat, how much you eat, and how it was prepared (I could use this blog for that, I suppose.)
* MOVE!!! (I need to do this more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment