Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pre-Op Requirements... bump...

Bump...

What’s that?  That’s another bump in the road.

So, the pre-op requirements are pretty extensive.  Let’s go through them. 

Physical Examination Done.  My thyroid has gone crazy again.  This led me to see a new endocrinologist.  He has upped my thyroid medicine.  I’m taking it by the way. 

Psychological Evaluation Done.  No word if I passed.  I sat and talked to a psychiatrist for a half hour then went and took a computer questionnaire with OVER 500 questions!  What kind of questions?  Well they were all true or false and they ranged from, “Someone is trying to poison me.” to “When I play games, I like to win.” to “I hear voices no one else hears.”  I suppose it’s possible I didn’t pass, but with those statements, it seems unlikely (False, True, False, btw). 

Nutritional Counseling – Done.  We met with her and there weren’t any big shockers.  I had already read about the two weeks pre and post surgery having to be on a liquid diet.  She did show us some brands of protein shakes.  I have to have protein drinks that have 4 or less grams of sugar.  She suggested I start trying them to see what I like.  We’ve started that.  The “OH MY GOD” thing she said was actually kind of silly.  I can never take Motrin again.  I can only have Tylenol.  No alcohol for 6 months to a year I was able to take in stride.  No Motrin?  I felt like I was going to go crazy!  That’s my go-to drug of choice!  Whoa. 

Register on EXEMPLO – Done.  It’s a patient portal kind of thing that let’s you see your status, log your essentials, and communicate with the office without them having to actually talk to you. 

Hour long video where you watch a bypass done with disgusting cameras – Done and gross.

Blood Work – Done.  I hope they did all the tests they needed.  That was more blood than I care to give.

Pap Smear within the last yearDone

Weight history for the last two years – Done.  My OB/GYN submitted this.  They have seen me a lot during the infertility stuff. 

Upper GI – NOT DONE!  (bump)  Originally, I thought I didn't have to do this because my form said "For Adjustable Gastric Band patients."  Apparently, they have changed their mind and now want everyone to have this.  I have been trying to schedule this for 4 work days now.  I’m now sure why this is so hard to schedule. I wish I could have known this when I scheduled all my other appointments.  Bump... 


That’s where I’m at with my Pre-Op requirements.  Let’s see how many typos Jeff can find in this entry!  Apparently, I was typing “loose” instead of “lose” in the last one (fixed).  Who said teachers needed to be able to spell?  HA!

3 comments:

  1. The upper GI is a breeze - after you drink the chalky drink they give you. So, not really a bump - just a little gravel on the road. BTW - loved your analysis of the psych eval (who doesn't like to win, anyway?). Ibuprofen is my drug of choice, too. FYI, you can't take it when you are pregnant, either. I don't think Tylenol works quite as well. Small price, though.
    We need to plan a visit soon - I want to give you a big hug, and then go to IKEA :) For now, though, this will have to do:
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bump - just a scheduling snafu (did I spell that correctly?) It is hard to schedule things when you teach. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that video was gross! i saw it.

    ReplyDelete